Despite their cool name, there’s nothing good about the unsightly fat that accumulates on the sides of the abdomen. Because of its location, most people assume that a typical ab-workout will blast them away. But that’s not true. You need exercises that specifically target the love handles in order to get rid of them.
To say goodbye to those love handles, perform these 7 exercises that sharegoodidea suggests. These exercises are designed to specifically target the area on the sides of your abdomen.
Starting position: Stand upright with your legs hip-width apart. Put the weight of your body on your left leg and using both hands lift a dumbbell up by your left shoulder.
- Twist both your hands to make a chopping motion, down toward your right hip. Allow your feet and knees to pivot with the twist. Imagine that you’re chopping down a large tree.
- Raise your hands back up to where they started.
How many times: Repeat this move 20 times on your left side. And then repeat the same move 20 times on your right side.
Starting position: Sit on your butt with your knees bent and feet placed flat on the ground. In this position, your torso should be angled back at 45 degrees to the floor. While you are in this position, hold a dumbbell with both hands.
- Lift your feet from the ground. Cross them at the ankles and balance yourself on your butt.
- Now rotate your torso to the right and touch the dumbbell that you are holding to the ground next to your body.
- Next, do the same on the other side. Twist on the left side so that the weight touches the ground on the left side of your body.
How many times: Repeat back and forth 40 times so that it makes 20 times on each side.
Side plank hip lifts
Starting position: Get into a modified side plank position. In this position, you will have your elbow on the ground and your legs and hips resting on the ground on your side.
- Raise your body.
- Stay in this position for 2 seconds and then lower your body.
How many times: 15 times on the left side and 15 times on the right side.
Starting position: Lie flat on your back, with your knees bent upward. Put your hands behind your head and interlock your fingers.
- Lift your right leg up so that your thighs are almost perpendicular to the ground and your calves are parallel to the ground.
- At the same time, rotate your upper body and move your left elbow toward the lifted knee so that they meet in the middle of your body.
- Now straighten the right leg, but keep it off the ground. While you are straightening the leg, bend your left leg and rotate your upper body so that the elbow of your right arm touches the knee of the left leg.
How many times: 30 reps.
Starting position: Bend your knees and put your palms flat on the ground.
- In a fast move kick your feet back so that you get into a plank, or upper push-up, position.
- Hold the position for a few seconds and then pull your feet up toward your chest. Quickly jump to stand up, while moving your hands simultaneously toward the ceiling and clap.
- Lower yourself back into the starting plank position.
How many times: 3 sets with 15 reps each.
Starting position: Sit with your butt resting on your heels. Pull your shoulders back and put your palms by the side of your feet.
- Imagine that you have to touch your spine with your belly button, and pull your tummy in as far inside as you can.
- Hold it for 5-10 seconds if you are just starting. Once you get into a rhythm you will be able to hold it for 20 seconds.
How many times: Repeat the pulling in of the stomach action 5 times.
Starting position: Lie down on your stomach with your arms parallel to each other and stretched out in front of you. Your legs should be shoulder-width apart.
1. Lift your right arm and your left leg in the air. Hold this position for about 2-3 seconds.
2. Lower them back to the ground.
3. Then lift your left arm and right leg in the air and hold for 2-3 seconds before lowering them back to the ground.
How many times: 10 reps of 5 counts for each side.
Are you guilty of trying ab-toning exercises to get rid of love handles? Let us know in the comments. If you found this article useful, share it with your friends and family members.